The Orinda Planning Department is currently operating remotely. Although the City offices are closed, we are available for virtual appointments Monday - Thursday from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. You can schedule an appointment here. All application submittal and review is being processed electronically. Submittals shall be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing. Please visit the Building Permits page for more information on the building permit process. You may also leave a voicemail at (925)253-4210 and a staff member will return your call.
The Contra Costa County Building Department is also operating with remote services. Please visit the County's website here for instructions on how to apply for a building or grading permit. The Building Department be reached at (925) 674-7200.
Welcome to the City of Orinda Planning Department
The City of Orinda Planning Department's Mission Statement - maintain and enhance the semi-rural residential character and the downtown village character of Orinda through responsive and solution oriented services to all segments of the community. We look forward to serving you!
Property Development Standards
3.0 Housing Element (PDF)
- 1- Introduction Final April 21st (PDF)
- 2- Evaluation of 2013 HE Final April 21st (PDF)
- 3- Population Employment and Housing Characteristics Final April 21st (PDF)
- 4- Analysis of Housing Capacity Final April 21st (PDF)
- 5- Constraints to Housing Development Final April 21st (PDF)
- 6- Goals Objectives and Actions Final April 21st (PDF)
- City of Orinda HEAdopted Letter April 28, 2015 (PDF)
- TOC Acknowledgements April 21, 2015 (PDF)
- Transmittal letter to HCD April 30 , 2015 (PDF)
Responsibilities & Services
The Planning Department is responsible for the implementation of the City's General Plan and Development Code. The Department is also responsible for managing all land use entitlements in accordance with the Subdivision Map Act, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and State Planning and Zoning laws.
Building Permits & Inspections
Building plan check and inspection services are provided through the Contra Costa County Department of Conservation and Development, located at:
Lamorinda Building Inspection Office
3685 Mt. Diablo Boulevard, Suite 120
Lafayette, CA 94549
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.