Historic Landmark Committee
3:00pm 2nd Tuesday Quarterly (March, June, September, December)
- During COVID Pandemic - Meets via Zoom Teleconference
Agendas & MinutesAgendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
City Council declares that the preservation, protection, perpetuation, enhancement and use of sites, buildings, structures, trees, works of art and other objects having a special historical or architectural value is a public necessity and is desired and required in the interest and general welfare of the people of Orinda. (Ordinance 87-1).
A current list of all designated Historic Landmarks in the City of Orinda, can be found here.
The Historic Landmark Committee consists of five (5) members appointed by City Council that serve as an advisory body to:
1. Establish a list of proposed historic landmarks for recommendation to the Planning Commission under prior code section 7-4014(1) of the
historic landmark ordinance.
2. Disseminate information to the public concerning preservation and enhancement of historic landmarks.
3. Encourage and advise property owners of proposed or designated historic landmarks about the preservation and enhancement of the landmark.
4. Recommend to the Planning Commission and City Council, policies and regulations necessary to administer and enforce the historic landmark
5. Advise the City Council on historic preservation matters.
The term of office of each member is three (3) years; however, the initial expiration date shall be scheduled to expire on February 28th and shall be staggered so that a majority of member's terms do not expire in the same year. Each member serves until a successor is appointed. To the extent possible, each member of the Committee shall be a resident of the City of Orinda. The Committee may include at least one (1) member of the Orinda Historical Society or other historic preservation organization, a preservation architect and a recognized historian.
Current Historic Landmark Committee Members are:
Bobbie Landers, Chair (term expires 2023)
Laurie Smith (term expires 2022)
Bill Waterman (term expires 2023)
Tania DeGroot (term expires 2021)
Jeffrey Heyman (term expires 2023)
Chris Cortez, Planning Technician (City of Orinda - Staff Liaison)