The Orinda Community Center Park features a small Gazebo that can accommodate up to 30 people, with 4 picnics tables, and two small camp style, charcoal grills on site. Access to both playgrounds is feasible although we do recommend a parent and / or guardian stay with the child(ren).
It is important to mention that due to reduced staffing, the park restrooms at the Orinda Community Center Park and Orinda Oaks Park will remained closed Saturday evenings through Sundays. Therefore if you wish to utilize the gazebo or Orinda Oaks Park it will remain available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Picnic Permit / Reservation Process
- Fill-out and submit a completed Private Picnic Rental Application via email to Rentals@CityofOrinda.org.
- Once the permit has been accepted and processed by City Staff, a permit will be emailed to you. Please initial, sign and return the permit to Rentals@CityofOrinda.org within 7 days.
- Complete payment:
- Check Payment: please make the check to City of Orinda. The check must be received and processed before the reserved date. If payment has not been received, the City will cancel the reservation 24 hours before.
- Credit Card Payment: If you wish to pay by credit card, please indicate so on your application. Once we have received and processed your application, you will receive an email to process payment online. If needed, the office can assist over the phone by walking you through the process online.
Policies and Procedures
- Reservations are confirmed after an application has been submitted, fees are paid, and you have received a reservation confirmation (transaction receipt and permit reflects payment).
- No plastic tarps, tents or stakes on/in any grass area. Inflatable structures, jump houses, ponies or dunk tanks are not allowed. No BBQs (other than what are provided in the park) are allowed without prior approval by the Parks and Recreation Director.
- Please make sure you have read the entire PARKS & FACILITIES RENTAL GUIDE before making submitting this application.
COVID-19 Health and Safety
Now that spring is here, Orinda Parks and Rec thought it would be helpful to review the current County and State Health Guidelines as it pertains to social gatherings specifically for the purpose of picnicking glee. As of March 16, the County’s website states the following:
Can I socialize with people outside of my household?
The safest way to connect with others is virtually. If you do choose to meet with others in-person, keep it outdoors, small and short. State safety guidelines for social gatherings include:
- Gatherings that occur outdoors are significantly safer than indoor gatherings. Indoor gatherings are strongly discouraged in the Red, Orange, and Yellow Tiers.
- Limit gatherings to three households (up to 25 people max).
- People from different households must keep at least six feet of distance from each other.
- Face coverings must be worn the entire time, expect when eating or drinking.
- Consider keeping a list of people who attended for potential future contract tracing needs.
If you are fully vaccinated and it’s been two weeks since your last dose, you can:
- Gather indoors with fully vaccinated people without wearing a mask.
- You can gather indoors with unvaccinated people from one other household without masks, unless any of those people or anyone they live with has an increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
Given these latest guidelines, the department will begin accepting Picnic Reservations for the Orinda Community Center Park Gazebo and Orinda Oaks Park Monday through Saturday.